DoW Himalayan Travel Community

Trip to Uttarakhand

• deba2164 on #24928

We, a aged couple from Kolkata would like to visit Garhwal part of uttarakhand in the month of October this year.we have planned to start our tour from moosorie and would like to hire a small car to complete our trip.
    11th October–Uttarkashi
    12th Oct Gangotri
    13th oct-Harsil
    14thOct -New Tehri(Is it a long jouney?App travel time)
    15th -Jhakholi via Ghyansali
    16th-Deoriatal via tilwara,kund,ukimath(If possible at all for us)
    17th& 18th- doggalvita
    19th Oct-kanakchauri for kartickswami via ukhimath,banswara
    20th Oct-Khirsu via rudraprayag,khankhara
    21st Oct-Hrisikesh via Pauri,Srinagar

it is a rough tour plan .need your help and assistance for any addition and alteration.we can add one extra night halt if required during this tour.
    we have skipped tunganath intentionally which would not be possible to trek (tough)though we shall try for Deoriatal and kartickswami on 16th and 19th.

we have not visited Auli as of now .I tried to include auli in this tour plan with a night halt at Joshimath but it will take another 300km drive up and down from doggalvita.

1 need your help to make this tour plan more logical ,scientific and economical
    2 app car rentals and cost of the tour
    3. cheap but good hotels at these places

My assumption on cost

car rental-12days x1900-2000
    boarding and lodging 1500x18days including hrisikesh and moosurie.

regards

Keymaster
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 9205
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #60588

@deba2164 wrote:

We, a aged couple from Kolkata would like to visit Garhwal part of uttarakhand in the month of October this year.we have planned to start our tour from moosorie and would like to hire a small car to complete our trip.

Welcome to DoW Community sir !! :) :)

11th October–Uttarkashi
    12th Oct Gangotri
    13th oct-Harsil
    14thOct -New Tehri(Is it a long jouney?App travel time)

This looks OK. Harsil to New Tehri will be around 6-7 hrs

15th -Jhakholi via Ghyansali
    16th-Deoriatal via tilwara,kund,ukimath(If possible at all for us)

This should be OK. It is about 5-6 hrs drive to Sari Village from Jhakholi.

7th& 18th- doggalvita

I think you mean Chopta here as road will be open to Chopta.

19th Oct-kanakchauri for kartickswami via ukhimath,banswara

20th Oct-Khirsu via rudraprayag,khankhara
    21st Oct-Hrisikesh via Pauri,Srinagar

Rest looks OK too.

it is a rough tour plan .need your help and assistance for any addition and alteration.we can add one extra night halt if required during this tour.
    we have skipped tunganath intentionally which would not be possible to trek (tough)though we shall try for Deoriatal and kartickswami on 16th and 19th.

Seems fine to me.

we have not visited Auli as of now .I tried to include auli in this tour plan with a night halt at Joshimath but it will take another 300km drive up and down from doggalvita.

‘It will surely add more travel time

Also tagging [tag:36lqk7gs]mosederbaer[/tag:36lqk7gs] Anil bhai our Uttarakhand expert :)

Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1861
    mosederbaer on #60589

[tag:anng3ve1]deba2164[/tag:anng3ve1] sir welcome to the forum and Dheeraj bhai thanks for tagging me here. I will do suggest some changes in the plan to make it somewhat more comfortable. :)

11th- Leave from mussorie and go to Uttarkashi while covering Dhanolti, chamba, New Tehari. It will take around 7 to 8 hours to cover these place with breaks. Uttarkashi has many budget hotels and it is being off season, it should not be a problem to find one.
    12th- Uttarkashi to Gangotri, 100 km and should take around 5 to 6 hours at slow pace. There are many small hotels near the temple itself.
    13th- Gangotri to Harsil. It is just 25 km so leave after lunch. Harsil has some small hotels along with GMVN rest house.
    14th- Harsil to Uttarkashi. Again, Uttarkashi has many budget hotels.
    15th- On this day, leave uttarkashi and head to jakholi via chaurangi khal, ghansali. Night stay at jakholi. It should be around 6 hours drive today. Jakholi has a gmvn rest house.
    16th- Jakholi to tilwara, kanakchauri, visit karitkswami temple and then head to ukhimath. It should take around 8 hours to reach from Jakholi to Ukhimath while covering the hike to kartikswami temple. Ukhimath has a gmvn rest house.
    17th- Ukhimath to sari and then hike to deoriatal. Sari village is very close to ukhimath. Night stay at deoriatal or come back to Ukhimath.
    18th- Deoriatal to sari and then drive to chopta. Night stay at chopta. Chopta has a budget hotel name Neelkanth. It should take around 2 hours to cover the distance.
    19th- Chopta.
    20th- Chopta to khirsu via ukhimath, kund, tilwara, rudraprayag, srinagar. From srinagar, there is a direct narrow road to khirsu. Khirsu has a gmvn rest house and few private hotels too.
    21st- Khirsu to pauri. I will suggest to have a night stay at pauri which has a perfectly located gmvn rest house.
    22nd- Now from pauri, there is a direct road to deoprayag without going to srinagar. It has very low traffic so will suggest to take it. It should take 6 to hours to 8 hours (with photo breaks) to reach rishikesh.

You can get ponies from chopta to visit tungnath temple but as per my experience, walking is much more comfortable than riding a pony. 😆

Now for car rental, I will suggest to take it from Mussorie. Bargain hard as it is being an off season. I will also request others to suggest about car rentals.

Hope it helps…… :)

Keymaster
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #60590

Now that’s an expert advise Anil bhai to the details :D

Participant
    Replies: 29
    deba2164 on #60591

Thanks Dhiraj Bhai and Anil bhai for your valuable suggestions.
    it is not impretinent to note that We are a aged couple ,patient of Arthritis and my wife has just got well from Broken Ankle .We are not fond of Pony ride.
    under this scenario we have some queries and need to make some alteration in our tour plan.
    1 Deoriatal ,Tunganath,Kartickswami-among these three we shall try for two but tunganath definitely a stiff trek for us
    2 if we spent two nights at harsil and will visit gangotri on 13 th morning and back to harsil for night stay —how would you feel this proposition?
    3.we do not want to stay again Uttarkashi on 14th.where should be the suitable place for night halt in between harsil and Ghyansali.
    4.we have visited Chopta .hence this time we want to stay at Dogolvita for two days
    5 If we stay at new tehri on 12th –how do you feel this change
    6.if we choose to visit only Deoriatal only during this tour ,is it possible to include joshimath (for Auli) in this tour plan?

Sir ,we are grateful to you that you have wasted your valuable time and replied to our quaries.
    GOD BLESS

Keymaster
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #60592

@deba2164 wrote:

Thanks Dhiraj Bhai and Anil bhai for your valuable suggestions.
    it is not impretinent to note that We are a aged couple ,patient of Arthritis and my wife has just got well from Broken Ankle .We are not fond of Pony ride.
    under this scenario we have some queries and need to make some alteration in our tour plan.
    1 Deoriatal ,Tunganath,Kartickswami-among these three we shall try for two but tunganath definitely a stiff trek for us

Hmm sir, in that case better avoid.

2 if we spent two nights at harsil and will visit gangotri on 13 th morning and back to harsil for night stay —how would you feel this proposition?

Looks relaxing to me. Better book Harsil GMVN upfront.

3.we do not want to stay again Uttarkashi on 14th.where should be the suitable place for night halt in between harsil and Ghyansali.

You planning directly to phata? Will leave it to Anil bhai.

4.we have visited Chopta .hence this time we want to stay at Dogolvita for two days

One or same thing, you can stay at Duggalbitta too.

Sir ,we are grateful to you that you have wasted your valuable time and replied to our quaries.
    GOD BLESS

Sir please no sir here… We salute your spirit of travel and inspire from it :)

Also tagging [tag:2jbet5sh]mosederbaer[/tag:2jbet5sh] for rest of the questions and vetting out my replies.

Participant
    deba2164 on #60593

Hi Dheeraji & Anilji
    i am waiting for an expert advice from Anilji.Meantime I am trying to finalize our tour plan considering our physical condition and the advice you have already offered to me.if we start our trip from Musouriee on 11th Oct and the night halts are the following.
    11th OCT -New Tehri (Dhanoulty Chamba on the way)
    12th Oct -uttarkashi
    13th Oct-gangotri
    14th Oct-Harshil
    15th Oct -Any place in between Uttarkashi to ghyanshali—-need your advice
    16th Oct-Jhakholi
    17thOct-Deoriatal via sari
    18th Oct-Doggalvita
    19th Oct -either straight to Auli via pipalkoti,joshimath or night stay at pipalkoti—need your ADVICE
    20th -auli
    21stOct-khirsu via rudraprayag–khankara
    22nd Oct- Hrisikesh via debprayag.(will leave the hired car)
    23rd Oct-Hrisikesh
    24th Oct-Train from Dehradun

This is the initial tour plan Ihave been working with where only trekking part involve is from sari to Deoriatal on 17th Oct
    another alternative tour plan I have just chalked out where there is no trekking part .
    in that case if we can start our tour from hrisikesh on 9th Oct,the night stays are the following

9th Oct -new tehri
    10th Oct -uttarkashi
    11th Oct-gangotri
    12th Oct -harshil
    13th–any place in between uttarkashi to Purola
    14thOct Purola
    15th OCT-Sankri
    16thOCt-sankri
    17th Mori
    18th Oct-Mundala
    19th oct -Chakrata
    20th oct -Musouriee(will leave the hired car)
    21st oct-musouriee
    22nd Oct-Dhanouty by bus
    23rd Dhanouty
    24th Oct -train from Dehradun.

I pray your assistance with expert advice with a comparative study(WITH COST ALSO) between the two tour plans because your comments act as a very important role in making a concrete tour plan.We are nature lovers,fond of scenic beauties and hidden views of mountains.

regards

Participant
    mosederbaer on #60595

Sir really sorry for the delayed reply. I would go with first plan but again will suggest some changes-

11th- night stay at new tehari.
    12th- new tehari to jhala/jaspur bend/harsil. It will be about 8 hours at max, on this day and all these places are much better than uttarkashi.
    13th- harsil to gangotri.
    14th- either stay another night at gangotri or move to harsil.
    15th- gangotri/harsil to uttarkashi.
    16th- uttarkashi to jakholi (it has a gmvn rest house). I do not remember or know any other place before jakholi for night stay.
    17th- deoriatal.
    18th- dugalbitta.
    19th- dugalbitta to joshimath.
    20th- joshimath to auli.
    21st- auli to khirsu.
    22nd- khirsu to buwakhal, pauri and then to deoprayag, Rishikesh.
    23rd- Rishikesh.
    24th- here will suggest to make your return ticket from haridwar which is closer to rishikesh than Dehradun.

A small alto car should be around 2000 per day. For food and stay it should be around 1000 per person per day.

Hope it helps

Participant
    deba2164 on #60594

many thanks for a prompt reply.still I have some query on our 1st tour plan especially on accommodation options and visiting places.
    there are places like lambgaon,Budhana,Chimaliya in between Uttarkashi to mayali though I don’t know whether these places are suitable for night stay or not.
    as per your itinerary one night stay at joshimath and one at Auli.if I stay two days at joshimath and visit Auli on the 2nd day,how do you feel this change(for costly accommodation option and Auli)
    I never heard the name of the place Jhala.give some detail with distance from Jhala to gangotri.

thanks & regards

Keymaster
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #60596

Will defer for Anil bhai to reply [tag:3l66aweu]mosederbaer[/tag:3l66aweu]

Participant
    mosederbaer on #60597

Sir my points are like this on your queries-

1. I did travel once on uttarkashi-mayali route in October 2011 and don’t remember having seen any guest house or hotel until we reached tilwara, I mean on the main road. Ghansali had one or two small dhabas. Mayali had a big market, an ATM but again don’t remember seen any stay option. Although jakholi has a gmvn rest house, about which I came to know recently.
    2. Will support to stay at joshimath for both nights as auli has limited and expensive options for the same. It is just 16 km from joshimath.
    3. Jhala is between sukhitop and jaspur bend. In our first visit to gangotri (June 2009), we misnderstood jhala as harsil and even started searching for stay option too. There were some very basic ones. Luckily we saw a board on a shop mentioning the name of the place, Jhala and then confirmed with locals and moved ahead to harsil. Jhala to gangotri should be around 35 to 40 km.

In October 2011, we stayed in a small hotel at jaspur bend, room was nice. The route from uttarkashi to gangotri (100 km) goes like this, uttarkashi-maneri-bhatwari-gangnani (has hot water kund)-sukhi top-jhala-jaspur bend-harsil-dharali (has few hotels too)-bhairon ghati-gangotri. Harsil to gangotri is 25 km.

Hope it helps.

Keymaster
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #60598

@mosederbaer wrote:

Sir my points are like this on your queries-

1. I did travel once on uttarkashi-mayali route in October 2011 and don’t remember having seen any guest house or hotel until we reached tilwara, I mean on the main road. Ghansali had one or two small dhabas. Mayali had a big market, an ATM but again don’t remember seen any stay option. Although jakholi has a gmvn rest house, about which I came to know recently.
    2. Will support to stay at joshimath for both nights as auli has limited and expensive options for the same. It is just 16 km from joshimath.
    3. Jhala is between sukhitop and jaspur bend. In our first visit to gangotri (June 2009), we misnderstood jhala as harsil and even started searching for stay option too. There were some very basic ones. Luckily we saw a board on a shop mentioning the name of the place, Jhala and then confirmed with locals and moved ahead to harsil. Jhala to gangotri should be around 35 to 40 km.

In October 2011, we stayed in a small hotel at jaspur bend, room was nice. The route from uttarkashi to gangotri (100 km) goes like this, uttarkashi-maneri-bhatwari-gangnani (has hot water kund)-sukhi top-jhala-jaspur bend-harsil-dharali (has few hotels too)-bhairon ghati-gangotri. Harsil to gangotri is 25 km.

Hope it helps.

Anil bhai those are awesome details !!

Participant
    deba2164 on #60599

11th- night stay at new tehari.
    12th- new tehari to jhala/jaspur bend/harsil. It will be about 8 hours at max, on this day and all these places are much better than uttarkashi.
    13th- harsil to gangotri.
    14th- either stay another night at gangotri or move to harsil.
    15th- gangotri/harsil to uttarkashi.
    16th- uttarkashi to jakholi (it has a gmvn rest house). I do not remember or know any other place before jakholi for night stay.
    17th- deoriatal.
    18th- dugalbitta.
    19th- dugalbitta to joshimath.
    20th- joshimath to auli.
    21st- auli to khirsu.
    22nd- khirsu to buwakhal, pauri and then to deoprayag, Rishikesh.
    23rd- Rishikesh.
    24th- here will suggest to make your return ticket from haridwar which is closer to rishikesh than Dehradun.

we have finalized our tour plan which has been made by Anilji with some changes through the changes are also advised by Dheeraji and Anilji.

our heartfelt thanks and regards to both of you.

I am highlighting the changes here .
    1.12th night –Jashpur bend
    2.15th night—either Uttarkashi/or any other places suitable for night stay in between uttarkashi to jhakholi
    3.20th and 21st Joshimath

24th night train from hardwar

Lastly if you have the current information on accommodation option at these places including musouree and hrisikesh please let me know.We can afford 700 Rs max per night on an average for two of us. we need only a double bedded room with attached bath and hot water facility.Room should be clean-that’s all .

thanks & regards

ps through it is not the proper forum still if anybody has the current information on details of entry formalities ,accommodation options and availability of ship tickets for Hut Bay and Car nicobar from portblair ,please let me know.we are planning to visit these places probably in the last week of February 2018.we are going to book flight tickets from Kolkata to portblair shortly .This is the 2nd time we are visiting there.

Participant
    mosederbaer on #60600

Sir mussorie, rishikesh, have plenty of stay options besides gmvn rest houses. Same goes with new tehari, harsil, gangotri also. Jaspur bend has one hotel but being off season, you should easily get a room. Uttarkashi also has lot of small hotels on main road itself.

Jakholi has a gmvn rest house. Dugalbitta has mayadeep resort. At deoriatal, you will need to stay in camps which can be arranged by local dhaba walas. Joshimath has small hotels in main market whereas khirsu also has some budget options along with gmvn.

Hope it helps. [emoji4]

Keymaster
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #60601

Awesome Anil bhai, I think we should move this thread to Articles section :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Trip to Uttarakhand
Your information:

Love Traveling to Himalayas?

YES?? Then, Let's Stay Connected !!

Get FREE monthly travel updates, news, guides, tips, itineraries, stories, hotel & restaurant reviews, etc.. focused totally on travelling to Himalayas right in to your email inbox.

Don't worry, we will neither SPAM nor SELL your email :)

Send this to a friend