The most common thing people ask me on this blog is, “Do you have any Maps of Leh Ladakh or any Ladakh Road Map?“. And for the first few years, I used to wonder, how do I create one. However, I always knew the fact that once I create these route maps for Leh Ladakh trips, it will immensely be useful to all the travelers planning their trips to the heavenly Ladakh region.

Well, there are Google maps, but they were not so comprehensive enough in the past. So, I had hand-scribbled this Leh Ladakh offline map for all the readers of Discover with Dheeraj blog.

Leh Ladakh Map from Delhi

Guys, I know I missed on my weekly blog article on Tuesday, but I am sure that you are going to forgive me as in this little delayed weekly article, it is an immense pleasure to roll out the first-ever maps of Leh Ladakh by DoW.

I know this has taken a long time to come, almost 3 years, but better late than never and now we have one more accolade to compliment the 400+ articles on traveling to the Himalayas on Discover with Dheeraj blog.

Do I need any Leh Local Sightseeing Map?

I am sure maps of Ladakh was one shortcoming I had in the Ladakh Travel knowledge base on Discover with Dheeraj blog. The Ladakh road map presented in the article below would help a lot in bridging that gap on understanding the places & routes in entire Leh – Ladakh.

Before I dig into the details, I would like to thank Aashish, the Chief Travel Mentor in our DoW – Himalayan Travel Community who pushed me hard enough and brought this idea to come alive of having DoW’s maps of Leh Ladakh.

What all places these maps of Ladakh covers?

In this Leh Ladakh map, I have tried to put details including places, distances, important monasteries, mountain passes, lakes, etc. in entire Ladakh covering Nubra Valley, Sham Valley, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Hanle and other parts of Changthang Valley.

This Leh Ladakh tourist map also has a couple of legends that explain the fuel availability in the entire Ladakh region & road difficulty level along with which type of car you might need to cover a particular stretch, list of ATMs in Ladakh. Though Black Diesel/Petrol is available at certain places, please note that the quality of such fuel is compromised and you shall only consider it in worst-case scenarios.

However, these are just my recommendations and should not be taken granted that even for a novice you can take a hatchback or sedan at the routes mentioning “All Cars” … The man behind the wheel must have some skills and experience with driving in the hills.

Similarly, for taking up difficult roads, the person must have good experience in traveling or driving/riding to this high altitude terrain of Ladakh & Manali – Leh Highway especially.

Does this Ladakh route map tell me about road conditions in Ladakh?

Though I am sure that the below maps of Leh Ladakh will help you immensely in understanding the places, moving between them & distances between them. However, for understanding the route conditions in more details I will strongly suggest that you read about Routes and Road Conditions In Leh – Ladakh.

For quick access & importance, quoting from this article that “for every route sections elaborated below, I will try to suggest car types with difficulty level as Easy, Manageable, Tough, Very Tough, Car Killer. Driving comfort is also taken into account while suggesting, so it is not just the driving. But, PLEASE DO NOT take it literally, especially in the cases of Sedans and Hatchbacks. Even, if I mentioned that route is manageable for Sedans and Hatchbacks, you still have to drive with extreme caution and care”.

Tourist Maps of Ladakh

Download your FREE high-resolution version of Leh Ladakh tourist map pdf copy covering Nubra Valley and Changthang region. If, you liked it and found it helpful, please feel free to share it with your family and friends to help them too.

To download, right-click & select option “Save image as”

Leh Ladakh Road Map covering Nubra Valley and Changthang
Leh Ladakh Road Map covering Nubra Valley and Changthang

Map of Ladakh | Srinagar to Leh Ladakh Road Map With Distances

Let me continue in this article and present the road map of Srinagar Leh Highway. We have talked enough on how to plan a trip to Srinagar – Leh Highway in my previous article where you can get a fair idea on the season to travel from Srinagar to Ladakh, modes of travel, how to plan a night stay, accommodations, sightseeing, petrol pumps, etc. on Srinagar Leh Highway in detail. Hence, quickly skipping the details let’s jump over to see the detailed road map of Srinagar Leh Highway.

Again, as in the first map, I have tried to put the details including places, distances, important monasteries, mountain passes, lakes, etc. on Srinagar – Leh Highway. This time map also has a couple of legends that explain the fuel availability on Srinagar – Leh Highway & road difficulty level along with which type of car you might need to cover a particular stretch and list of ATMs.

Since there isn’t any issue with the fuel availability throughout Srinagar – Leh Highway, so nothing much for you to worry. However, these are my recommendations, and should not be taken granted that even for a novice, you can take a hatchback or sedan at the routes mentioning “All Cars” … The man behind the wheel must have some skills and experience with driving in the hills.

The roughest patch of Srinagar to Leh Highway is a few km on either side of Zoji La Pass, especially from Baltal to the Zoji La Pass.

Srinagar to Ladakh Road Map

Here is the map of Srinagar to Leh Highway which you can download by right-clicking & then select the option: “Save Image As…”

Srinagar to Leh Road Map With Distances
Srinagar to Leh Road Map With Distances

Download your FREE high-resolution version pdf copy of this Srinagar to Leh Road Map. If, you liked it and found it helpful, please feel free to share it with your family and friends to help them too.

Map of Ladakh | Manali to Leh Ladakh Road Map With Distances

Let me add the final section and present the road map of Manali Leh Highway. We have talked enough on how to plan a trip to Manali to Leh Highway in my previous article where you can get a fair idea on the season to travel from Manali to Ladakh, modes of travel, how to plan a night stay, accommodations, sightseeing, petrol pumps, etc. on Manali Leh Highway in detail. Hence, quickly skipping the details let’s jump over to see the detailed road map of Manali Leh Highway.

Again, as in the first map, I have tried to put the details including places, distances, important monasteries, mountain passes, lakes, etc. on Manali Leh Highway. This time map also has a couple of legends that explain the fuel availability on Manali – Leh Highway & road difficulty level along with which type of car you might need to cover a particular stretch and list of ATMs.

There are quite a few sections on Manali Leh Highway with troublesome road conditions and this Manali to Leh route map infographic shared below calls them out.

Manali to Leh Route Map Details
Manali to Leh Route Map Details

Download your FREE high-resolution version pdf copy of this Manali to Leh route map infographic. If, you liked it and found it helpful, please feel free to share it with your family and friends to help them too.

What is next on this Leh Ladakh maps series?

This is just the first set version of maps of Leh Ladakh covering the entire Ladakh region. In future will continue to add more maps which will cover Srinagar – Leh Highway & Manali – Leh Highway in detail 🙂

Please note that all the distances & places indicated are approximate in unit and location in this Leh Ladakh offline map. The data has been collated for just a fair idea & is completely based the notes of my own Ladakh trips, roads signs & pictures of boards clicked on those trips, Wikimapia, Google Maps, a map of Harsh&Aarti, some GPS Trails from the Internet or googling, trails shared by some fellow travelers.

Your suggestions on improvement on these Leh Ladakh road maps are highly welcomed, and please keep in mind that this tells you a tentative idea of the route and distances between the places. It does not depict the entire route as is, so there could be minor twists and turns not outlined in this map.

Hence, I request that please spare me in case of any mistake you find in these maps of Ladakh and kindly help or contribute in improving it if you see any major correction 🙂

You should always carry your water bottle and refill it as many times as you need water. It will not only keep you hydrated always, but you will also help in saving the Himalayas from plastic garbage. Remember, every tiny step counts and your step in this direction can help save the Himalayas too !! 🙂 🙂

Conclusion

Feel free to provide your inputs/suggestions or feedback or any questions you have on road maps of Leh Ladakh. These Leh Ladakh maps will help you plan your road trips to Leh Ladakh successfully and will help you come back with tons of Ladakh photos.

Have a travel question?? You can follow me on Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube channel to ask your travel questions in a direct message on Instagram or comment on my YouTube videos.

If you know your friends or family are planning a trip to Ladakh, do share this article with them to help them make a memorable Ladakh trip.

Share.

I am Dheeraj Sharma - a traveler, techie, and Himalayan lover. Since 2009, I have been helping thousands of travelers every year plan memorable & budget-friendly trips to the Himalayas - Smartly, Safely, and responsibly.

81 Comments

1. manmohan p on

hi dheeraj,
    We have planned for bike trip from 18th may 2018, from chandigarh to Srinagar-Leh, Will the Route be open?
    By that time

Thank you

2. Ishrat Khan on

Trip Plan
    Delhi to Leh ( By flight)
    D1:: Leh ( night stay) ( take bike on rent )
    D2:: Leh to Pangong ( night stay)
    D3:: Pangong to Nubra valley ( night stay)
    D4:: Nubra to Leh ( night stay)
    D5:: Leh to Kargil ( night stay)
    D6:: Kargil to Srinagar ( night stay)
    D7:: Srinagar to Delhi by flight

Please suggest or advice if i planned it wrong.

Carrying tent and sleeping bags for this trip is good idea?

Thank you

• HI Ishrat,

It is highly recommended to sleep at least two nights in Leh for acclimatization before traveling to other places. Also, you must travel to Nubra Valley first and then to Pangong Tso

3. Brother you have uploaded the map of leh district only ladakh include two district one leh and other being kargil please correct it..

4. HI Dheeraj,

We are planning for a bike ride to leh Ladakh from Manali with my 3 other friends. Here is my literary which we are planning to follow.Can you just verify this? Do we need to modify our plan here?

(June 22nd – Thursday)Day 1: Delhi -> Manali (Overnight journey)
    Day 2: Stay at Manali – Rent an RE bike.
    Day 3: Go to Sarchu(Through Keylong) and tent stay at Sarchu – fill up petrol from Thandi
    (June 25th Sunday)Day 4: Sarchu -> Leh (Fill up petrol from Karu)
    Day 5: Roam around Leh
    Day 6: Leh -> Nubra valley and stay at Diskit (Fill up petrol from Diskit)
    Day 7: Peaceful day
    Day 8: Nubra to Pangong (Fill up petrol from Diskit)
    Day 9: Pangong to Sakti village
    Day 10: Sakti to Jispa (Fill up petrol from Karu)
    (July 2nd)Day 11: Jispa to Manali
    Day 12: Manali to Delhi (Overnight journey)

I’m not sure about staying in Sakti village, but I don’t want to go to Leh back just for staying there.
    Also, Since we are planning to rent a bike, how can we store extra petrol that we should tag along for the journey?

We can not add one more day in this day as this is the best considering the leaves that needs to be approved for the journey..

Thanks in advance.

5. Hi Yogesh sir,

Great blog !!! Your response to queries is really great, fast and helpful.

We are a group of 6 guys going to leh Ladakh for 12 days from Delhi on 3-4 bikes. We are thinking of starting from Delhi- Srinagar- leh-manali route. we were hoping of camping for overnights as we have 3 tents, to cut the cost and add to the experience. which places do you recommend we camp. Is it possible to camp at kargil, leh?

And also is there any way we can skip leh and cover hunder- pangong tso- Hanle-tso moriri.

Also being students we are a bit hard on cash so is it possible to do the journey with 13k-15k per head. we have our own bikes.

Could you suggest us detailed plan for 12 days for us to follow.

Waiting for your reply. Thank you in advance.

• Nikhil, it is Dheeraj not Yogesh 🙂

You should read: Top 10 Tips for Camping in Ladakh & Spiti Valley. There is no way to skip Leh, you will need permits in case you want to visit Hanle. It will take 4 days to reach Leh from Srinagar side starting from Delhi and 3 days to come back from Leh from Manali side to Delhi. This makes it 7 days. 1 Day is required in Leh for acclimatization. You have about 12 days. You can make two day trip to Nubra Valley, 2 day trip to Pangong Tso or 1 day trip to Pangong Tso. 1 remanining day can be used to visit Tso Moriri while coming back from Leh

6. Dear Dheeraj,

I happened to stumble upon your blog last year when I was looking for places to visit in Himachal and then read your recommendation on Tirthan Valley.

I visited Tirthan Valley in April 2016 and stayed at Raju’s Cottage. The place and Raju’s Cottage were true to every word you said.

Now I am back for more of your suggestion and advice.
    I am planning to go to Leh Ladakh in September this year, from 2nd to 11th and we are flying from Bombay to Leh directly.

Would be great if you could share an itinerary of places to visit, stay…things to do.

Regards,

Rita

7. Hello Dheeraj Bhai,

Hope you are doing good and Thanks for the suggestion. After going through suggested itinerary, I have planned my trip and I would need your advice/inputs.

Date of Journey: 6th Sept 2016
    Head count: 1

Route planned

Day 1: Jammu – Srinagar [ 309 km, stay in Srinagar ]
    enroute: Udhampur,Patnitop,Ramban,Wanpoh

————————————
    Day 2: Srinagar – LEH [426 KM, Stay in LEH]
    enroute :Sonamarg,Drass,Kargil,Mulbekh,Lamayuru,Khalsi,Alchi

————————————
    Day 3: Leh [ rest/ local sight seeing and ILP ]
    We have to obtain ILP for rest of the places and I have read that we have to give detailed route map/places/date and then obtain ILP. What if we miss out on that date to travel? will they allow us to travel the next day. ILP comes with some validity, but is that mandatory that we have to travel on said date?
    ————————————
    Day 4: LEH – HUNDER/Diskit [ 128km, Stay in Diskit ]
    enroute: Khardung La,Diskit,Hunder

Q1: is that I have to mention Khardung La,Diskit,Hunder in ILP or have I MISSED any places?
    Q2: Do we have petrol Pumps in Daskit/Hunder? or can we get it in black?
    ————————————
    Day 5: HUNDER/Diskit – Panamik [ 70km, Stay in Panamik ]
    enroute: sumur

Q1: do we have to submit ILP in this route?
    ————————————
    Day 6: Panamik – LEH [ 141 km, Sty in LEH ]

Q1: is that I have to submit copy of ILP while heading back?
    ————————————
    Day 7: Leh – Spangmik [ 157km, Stay in Spangmik ]
    Fill petrol in Karu and carry additional.

Q1: Which are the Places should I mention in ILP?
    ————————————
    NOW BELOW I HAVE 2 OPTION, CONSIDERING SOLO RIDER WHICH ROUTE IS BEST FOR ME ALSO PLACES TO BE MENTIONED IN ILP

Day 8: Spangmik – tso morir [ 208 KM, Stay in tso morir ]
    enroute: Man,Merak,Chushul,Nyoma,Mahe,Sumdo,Kyagar Tso,Korzok

DAY 8: Spangmik – tso morir [ 177 KM, Stay in tso morir ]
    Enroute: Merak,Chushul,Nama,Mahe,Sumdo,Kyagar Tso

————————————
    DAY 9: tso morir – SARCHU [ 403 KM, Stay in Sarchu ]
    Enroute: Korzok,Upshi,karu[fill petrol and then back to upshi],Sarchu.

Q1: Do we need ILP for these places? If yes,can you please list me the placed to mention.

————————————
    DAY 10: Sarchu – Manali [ 222 km, stay at Manali ]

Will have a day or 2 as buffer. Please let me know the places to be listed out in ILP which would be of great help.

8. Neelabh Chakravarty on

Thanks for the comprehensive leh ladakh map, it will definitely help people like me, plecially deficulty level mention on it.
    Now one question if it is right place to ask as it remained un answered that when compaired with batal-gramphoo streach how do you rate the difficulty levels of blue line indicators of this map. As I have already done that part and would like to mentally prepair for this tour.
    Your feed back is highly appreciated.

9. this is simply amazing Dheeraj. Thanks for sharing this. Appreciate your effort.

10. Pulkit Gupta on

Hi, Do you organise tours for self driven vehicles? I’m interested in joining a caravan for a Himalayan Roadtrip.

• No Pulkit, Discover with Dheeraj is a Travel Platform to share information with fellow like minded travellers for free. There are some petty people who do it with similar name with few spelling changes, please beware of such copy cats as they use our name or similar name to fool people for their own commercial purpose and have heard tons of complaints about them from the people who got duped.

We at Discover with Dheeraj Travel Platform offer sufficient information from route to maps to hotel details to day by day plans and other advises that one need to make a successful Himalayan trip including Ladakh, Himachal thoroughly. This will save you a lot of money and hassles too which you can use to buy something good for you 🙂 🙂

11. maria lobo on

Hello Dheeraj,

Starting by saying “Hats Off” to this amazing blog.

6 of us are planning to travel to leh ladakh in july end-aug start for 6n approximately.
    We are planning to book our train tickets till delhi, but at the same time can you suggest us the best option to travel in a budgeted way till leh. shall we book till Delhi or Chandigarh and how do we commute from there. Also from ur viewpoint if you can tell about the best places to be visited in these 7 days and which hotel to book where so that we can follow the same and will save us from doing the bookings with travel packages.
    From where do we hire car ? which places to see? how to reach leh ladakh ? which places to explore to eat.
    share your suggestions so that we have memories to cherish for lifetime.

• Hello Maria,

Thank you 🙂 🙂

It will take 3 days to reach Leh from Delhi via Manali side and 4 days to come back to Delhi from Leh via Srinagar side. This makes it 7 days. 1 Day is required in Leh for acclimatization. You have about 7 days ony, so I do not feel you can make a good trip to Ladakh unless you just want to be on road all days

12. Dear DOW Team,

Can I take print of this map? If yes – what will be the best suitable size (paper) to print the same.

I want to carry the same along with me during my Oct. trip to Ladakh.

Ajit

13. i forgot to say a Big Thank you to you as you are a constant guide and inspiration for us.

14. Dheeraj, i have decided to join Leh Ladakh trip arranged by my friends. they are inconstant touch with you regarding that. we will be at Leh from 10 to 20 th Sept 2015. i will be happy to know about the current weather status at Leh and surroundings. should we carry raincoat? the day time temperatures of 20 to 24 degrees and night temperatures of 4 to -2 degrees is what we will be expecting during these days. am i right? we are apprehensive as kids (1 to 15 years) and parents (60s) will be there with us. do we need to worry for any specific things? couple of friends who had been at Leh recently said its very dry during these days and is troubling the tourists a lot. to what extent is this true?

• No rains will be faded away from lower hills by that time. Yes, you are right in temperatures but it is what the real feel that makes the difference. Real feel is much lower as the wind is cold up there so go prepared well in layered clothing. It will be cold especially at nights at the high altitude lakes for sure.

15. anshuchandra on

I cannot create a post or start a new thread in community forum,why?

16. reachdhairav on

Hello,

This is the most help site I have found for planning Leh trip, thank you for all the effort you take. In light of the recent problem using self-drive cars in Leh, I was thinking of doing the following itinerary to avoid having to come to Leh from every location. Would you recommend or suggest changes (I have to start from Manali because we are going to pickup a friend’s car from there) –

Day 1 – Mumbai – Chandigarh – Manali
    Day 2 – Manali
    Day 3 – Manali – Jispa
    Day 4 – Jispa – Leh
    Day 5 – Leh (Local sightseeing)
    Day 6 – Leh – Hunder
    Day 7 – Hunder / Sumur
    Day 8 – Hunder / Sumur to Pangong
    Day 9 – Pangong
    Day 10 – Pangong to Hanle
    Day 11 – Hanle to Tso Morri
    Day 12 – Tso Morri – Leh
    Day 13 – Leh to Kargil
    Day 14 – Kargil to Srinagar
    Day 15 – Buffer
    Day 16 – Srinagar to Mumbai

Thank you for your time.
    Regards,
    Dhairav

• Dhairav, it is fine but how does it solve the problem? It is not a matter of one checkpost, if seen local taxis up there at these locations will confront you. There are checkpoints to these places as well, it is not just Leh where the problem is.

• Prateek Vora on

Hi Dheeraj,

Right click is disabled on your website. I wanna download map but its not happening. I also wanted so many printouts but you have disabled the right click option. Can you please enable it. It would be a blessing for all travellers. Request you to plz enable the right click option. If you are concerned for the plagiarism , don’t worry at all because you can never copy one’s vision even if you copy the words 🙂

17. Neeraj Sharma on

Dear DOW Team,

I want to share my itinerary that we have planned for Delhi – Leh – Delhi trip. Could you please have a look and suggest if it is okay. Eagerly looking forward to your expert recommendations.

We will be taking a self drive rental car and I will be the only driver, though my friend can drive a bit too. Also, does the taxi union create any issues at Kargil for the Zanskar Valley travel?

1 25-Jul Delhi To Udhampur – Delhi – Ambala – Ludhiana – Jalandhar – Pathankot – Kathua – Samba – Udhampur
    2 26-Jul Udhampur To Srinagar – Udhampur – Srinagar
    3 27-Jul Srinagar To Srinagar – Srinagar Local
    4 28-Jul Srinagar To Kargil – Srinagar – Sonmarg – Zozi La – Drass – Kargil
    5 29-Jul Kargil To Padum (Zanskar Valley) – Kargil – Sanko – Parakachik – Rangdum – Pensi La – Drang Drung Glacier – Padum (Zanskar Valley)
    6 30-Jul Padum (Zanskar Valley) To Padum (Zanskar Valley) – Padum (Zanskar Valley)
    7 31-Jul Padum (Zanskar Valley) To Kargil – Padum (Zanskar Valley) – Drang Drung Glacier – Pensi La – Rangdum – Parakachik – Sanko – Kargil
    8 1-Aug Kargil To Leh – Kargil – Mulbek – Namika La – Fotu La – Lamayuru – Hangroo Loops – Nimmu – Leh
    9 2-Aug Leh To Leh – Leh Local
    10 3-Aug Leh To Hunder – Leh – Khardung La – Khalsar – (Sumur – Panamik -) Diskit – Hunder
    11 4-Aug Hunder To Spangmik (Pangong Tso) – Hunder – Diskit – Khalsar – Wari La – Chang La – Lukung – Spangmik (Pangong Tso)
    12 5-Aug Spangmik (Pangong Tso) To Leh – Spangmik (Pangong Tso) – Lukung – Tangste – Durbuk – Chang La – Karu – Shey – Leh
    13 6-Aug Leh To Tso Moriri – Leh – Chumathang – Karzok (Tso Moriri)
    14 7-Aug Tso Moriri To Sarchu – Tso Moriri – Tso Kar – Debring (Leh – Manali Highway Starts) – Moore Plains – Pang/Sarchu
    15 8-Aug Sarchu To Manali – Sarchu – Baralacha La – Keylong – Rohtang Pass – Manali
    16 9-Aug Manali To Manali – Rest Day at Manali (Optional)
    17 10-Aug Manali To Delhi – Manali – Kullu – Mandi – Sunder Nagar – Bilaspur – Kiratpur – Roop Nagar – Chandigarh – Ambala – Delhi

Many thanks in advance.

• Yes, unfortunately from this year, you can only use the self-drive cars including Zoomcar (black number plate and yellow number plate) just to enter Leh and exit Leh from Srinagar – Leh Highway or Manali – Leh Highway but not sightseeing in Ladakh top places like Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso. Please refer the link from the post for the personal experiences: https://discoverwithdheeraj.com/india/himalayan-travel-guides/topic2618-10.html#p22017

Regarding plan, looks fine to me. Do ensure that there is some vehicle to accompany you while taking Wari La route as in case of any help, you will not be able to find it in distance due to the desolation.

18. Dear Mr. Dheeraj,
    1st of all you all a big salute to you for your effort for hosting a great blog like this. We are two people planning to go for Leh trip during August. This will be our second trip to Leh.
    This time our plan is-
    Day 1- Landing at Lah in the morning, evening local sight seeing.
    Day-2- Leh local- Shey, thiksey, Hemis etc.
    Day 3- Nubra valley, night stay.
    Day 4- Nubra to Pangong Tso (night say)/ Nubra to Turtuk and back to Leh.
    Day 5- Pangong Tso to Leh/ Leh to Pangong Tso
    Day 6- Leh to Hanle(night stay)/ Pangong to Leh
    Day 7- Hanle/ Leh to Hanle (night stay)
    Day 8- Hanle to Tso Moriri (night stay)/ Hanle
    Day 9- Tso Moriri to Leh enroute Tso kar/Hanle to Tso Moriri (night stay)Hanle to Tso Moriri (night stay)
    Day 10- back to home/ Tso Moriri to Leh enroute Tso karTso Moriri to Leh enroute Tso kar
    Day 11- back to Home.

Whether the above routes are feasible logistically. We will be travelling by any car/ SUV.Most probably we will be going by last week of August. Can you recommend any person who can arrange the above mentioned trip economically.

• Hi Bikram,

Thank you for the kind words 🙂 … Your about route seems fine to me though be ready for every day travel by road. I am not sure if anyone can help you with Hanle but still you can check out with info@offbeatescapes.com as they had been quite nice and supporting to most of the readers in the past two years or so. You can refer me or DoW if required.

Regards
      Dheeraj

19. Ramprakash on

Hi Dheeraj

Any tourist guide for Ladakh I should carry or the info given here is sufficient ?

20. The stretch from Debring to Pang is quite smooth & does not require high GC. After Pang, it is a mess.

• Yes Mohit you are right. Unfortunately, I created this map with different colors and since do not have much know-how of photoshop finding it difficult to edit. Since, overall it does not matter, hence still sticking onto it but will update the map in this month with last year road condition updates 🙂

21. Akash Mohindra on

Wow Dheeraj and the entire team of DOW. Really appreciate all your efforts in solving the ineffable mysteries of the Himalayas. Printed out the maps and it is going to be a part of my room now. Hopefully will be able to join you guys soon. Cheers!!

• Thank you Akash, pleasure is always ours 🙂 … Glad DoW is helping in making the journey to Ladakh more and more easy for many lovers of Himalayas 🙂

22. jitendramundel on

Your Comment…nice…..awesome…. .Is self bike driving on manali leh highway dangerous? should two person ride one bike for this trip?

• Jitendra, in case you have done rides in Himalayas then only I will suggest you to attempt a ride in this very adventurous route. In case, you have not done it, then please avoid it and do it first time in a taxi to asses the terrain yourself 🙂

23. Sanchit Gulati on

Hi Dheeraj wonderful update here. Just a slight change – the road post upshi is under renovation and the project deadline is june-july 16. The 15kms patch from Upshi towards Hanle is in bad shape. This is as per my ride in Oct/Nov 14. Also the Chusul – Erath – Padna is being fresh laid (currently high GC needed) and will be a joy ride going further.

• Thank you so much Sanchit for the updates. I need to learn a bit photoshop to change the colors accordingly. I have a target of updating the map colors by end of this month. Your updates will certainly help 🙂

24. utkarsh malik on

Hello Dheeraj,
    I am Planning to Come at Leh at Aug. end, Pl. tell me about the taxi for site seen.

25. Thanks for uncovering the hidden places. The maps are undoubtedly fabulous. Can you add a map of the Zanskar region..??
    -Thanks and regards

26. Dear Dhiraj,
    You are doing nice job.i also planning to go leh with my family after the reading your opinion,i re-plan my tour.thanks again thank u.

27. nice article, maps..

do you have similar map for manali – udaipur – kistwar – route ?

28. Vineet soni on

Dear Dheeraj I am planning to go leh by second week of june. I have few questions for you which will definitely help me throughout the tour. First I want you to make a route for me from Leh – Nubra Valley – Pangong Lake – Tso Moriri – Manali. I need each & every single detail for this route like petrol pumps, night halt options, road conditions etc.

29. Dear Mr Sharma,
    Have been reading your excellent posts. Many thanks.
    We wanted to be in Himachal for 9 days from 22nd Dec till 30th Dec. Would love to be around Leh-Laddakh… reach by flight on 22nd early morning from Delhi. Spend few days in Laddakh (not sure how many) – then go to a different cities, travelling southwards from Leh by road… Most focus is on enjoying nature, let kids roll in snow, have a good family time…

Any advice on an itinerary would be very helpful.

• Kapil, Ladakh is not a vacation destination dear. With kids running over snow in Ladakh!! Not a best idea or vibes I get from your expectations of Ladakh. It is harsh but beautiful place. Seeing your expectations I would have said NO even in season time BUT that is off season in Ladakh and all roads are closed to it. You can only fly in directly to Ladakh. Then, the it will be extremely cold out there and you need to fight a bit to survive the cold plus scarcity of oxygen for initial days. Are you game with the family?? Better try some lower hills around Himachal I will suggest or do basic circuit Kashmir Valley.

30. Anil moses on

As Mr. prabhu said the main concern will be the fuel and it also matters that which vehicle you will having, how many people so that it can be planned that how much space you will have for carrying extra jerry cans for spare fuel? After leh, the next fuel station will be at tandi, which is after keylong..

31. hi dheeraj,

looking to map can we do leh – khardungla – diskit – hunder ( Stay in tent )- turtuk – pranamik and then back to pangong lake – from there to tsomorri – hanle an d then back to leh or upshi and leave for manali

• Satej Prabhu on

That would be not less than 700 km. Only functional petrol pump on you way is at Leh. Do the math, how much extra fuel u need to carry.

• Urvanki, it all looks fine on paper and this map BUT logistics will be key here. Unless you are on your own and carrying extra fuel with you and courage + adventure heart with you, this is difficult. In a taxi, you can give it a shot BUT it will be on mind blowing cost for just 2 people. Secondly, I see you have 12 days ex Srinagar to Manali and doing something like what you are indicating is something like staying only on roads for those 12 days.

I am not saying it is not possible, but better read the road conditions article too to get an idea what you can expect on these road too.