Dear Dheeraj and DoW community,
First of all I would like to Thank you for creating this wonderful resource. It is very helpful.
I am an OCI and Australian citizen and planning to do a once in life time trip to the majestic Ladakh. It is also possible that one or two Indian friends (and couple Australian/non-OCI friend) may join us too. We have reserved around 12-14 days for the trip and we are planning to reach there by Srinagar -> Leh route and return from Leh->Manali route. As we also want to see some snow along the way, so we are planning to do it around the end of May to mid June.
I have looked at some of your blog links and various posts on DoW community but we are still confused about the PAP process. Here are my questions and please accept my apology in advance for too many questions and also if I’ve asked something which has been answered already.
1) Is there any map with areas clearly marked with PAP required/PAP not required/Not allowed for foreigners? This can be pretty helpful.
2) We are hoping to see Hunder/turtuk/khardung la/pangong tso/merak/tso Moriri/local Leh and Taglang la along the way back to Manali. Looking at the following link it seems that we will probably need PAP for 3 or so circuits.
Can we get all the permit at once? If not, then what are the best locations to get the different PAP? It seems that we wouldn’t need PAP for driving from Srinagar to Leh? by the way, are the circuits listed in above link still accurate for 2018?
3) As permit is only valid for 7 days, so we may need to extend it during our journey. What is the best location and approach for getting it done without hassle.
4) We would like to book one of the drivers listed on DoW forum. However, it seems that we must need to go through agent. Will it be possible to get agents to just do the PAP and we book our trip with DoW listed drivers? Can individual driver help us in getting the PAP?
5) I haven’t seen any message on the forum getting PAP from outside India. Is it possible to get this all done from Australia itself? or is it preferred to get it in India and not worry at all getting it from Australia.
6) Do they reject PAP even if all documents are correct and all clean records? What is the best location with chance of most success.
7) Since PAP is given to group of 2 or more persons. Can the other person be Indian i.e. the group of one OCI and Indians? If not, then will it be possible to get PAP for one person (e.g. with any other group?) but later travel with other Indian friends?