DoW Himalayan Travel Community

PAP help needed (Srinagar->Leh->Manali)

• vg8787 on #25323

Here is my second attempt to write this post. Somehow my previous message never showed up.

Dear Dheeraj and DoW community,

First of all I would like to Thank you for creating this wonderful resource. It is very helpful.

I am an OCI and Australian citizen and planning to do a once in life time trip to the majestic Ladakh. It is also possible that one or two Indian friends (and couple Australian/non-OCI friend) may join us too. We have reserved around 12-14 days for the trip and we are planning to reach there by Srinagar -> Leh route and return from Leh->Manali route. As we also want to see some snow along the way, so we are planning to do it around the end of May to mid June.

I have looked at some of your blog links and various posts on DoW community but we are still confused about the PAP process. Here are my questions and please accept my apology in advance for too many questions and also if I’ve asked something which has been answered already.

1) Is there any map with areas clearly marked with PAP required/PAP not required/Not allowed for foreigners? This can be pretty helpful.

2) We are hoping to see Hunder/turtuk/khardung la/pangong tso/merak/tso Moriri/local Leh and Taglang la along the way back to Manali. Looking at the following link it seems that we will probably need PAP for 3 or so circuits.

http://devilonwheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Inner-Line-Protected-Area-Permit-Form.pdf” class=”bbcode_url”>http://devilonwheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Inner-Line-Protected-Area-Permit-Form.pdf

http://devilonwheels.com/protected-area-permit-in-ladakh-for-foreigners/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://devilonwheels.com/protected-area-permit-in-ladakh-for-foreigners/

Can we get all the permit at once? If not, then what are the best locations to get the different PAP? It seems that we wouldn’t need PAP for driving from Srinagar to Leh? by the way, are the circuits listed in above link still accurate for 2018?

3) As permit is only valid for 7 days, so we may need to extend it during our journey. What is the best location and approach for getting it done without hassle.

4) We would like to book one of the drivers listed on DoW forum. However, it seems that we must need to go through agent. Will it be possible to get agents to just do the PAP and we book our trip with DoW listed drivers? Can individual driver help us in getting the PAP?

5) I haven’t seen any message on the forum getting PAP from outside India. Is it possible to get this all done from Australia itself? or is it preferred to get it in India and not worry at all getting it from Australia.

6) Do they reject PAP even if all documents are correct and all clean records? What is the best location with chance of most success.

7) Since PAP is given to group of 2 or more persons. Can the other person be Indian i.e. the group of one OCI and Indians? If not, then will it be possible to get PAP for one person (e.g. with any other group?) but later travel with other Indian friends?

Vivek

Topics: 0
    Replies: 2295
    Vinod Raman on #62971

[tag]vg8787[/tag], please accept our apologies for not looking at this post earlier and replying.

Here are the answers to your questions

vg8787 wrote:

1) Is there any map with areas clearly marked with PAP required/PAP not required/Not allowed for foreigners? This can be pretty helpful.

No map as such. The road for getting into and out of Leh and Zanskar valley do not need PAP. The ladakh sightseeing : Nubra valley, Pangong Tso (upto Merak) and Tso moriri need a PAP. Area beyond Merak towards Chusul and ahead (from Pangong Tso) and Area beyond Mahe bridge (on Leh-Tso moriri route), Hanle etc are all off limits for foreigners

vg8787 wrote:

2) We are hoping to see Hunder/turtuk/khardung la/pangong tso/merak/tso Moriri/local Leh and Taglang la along the way back to Manali. Looking at the following link it seems that we will probably need PAP for 3 or so circuits.

http://devilonwheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Inner-Line-Protected-Area-Permit-Form.pdf

http://devilonwheels.com/protected-area-permit-in-ladakh-for-foreigners/

Can we get all the permit at once? If not, then what are the best locations to get the different PAP? It seems that we wouldn’t need PAP for driving from Srinagar to Leh? by the way, are the circuits listed in above link still accurate for 2018?

You will need it for Nubra, Pangong Tso and Tso moriri. You can get all permits at the same time and in the same application form. All permits are available ONLY IN LEH. No need of PAP for driving on Srinagar – Leh highway, Leh- Manali highway (and if interested, Zanskar valley also)

vg8787 wrote:

3) As permit is only valid for 7 days, so we may need to extend it during our journey. What is the best location and approach for getting it done without hassle.

You should be able to get it done in Leh. Why not arrange your trip in such a way that you do not spend more than 7 full days in Protected area (max 3 days Nubra, 2 days Pangong, and 2 days tso moriri)

vg8787 wrote:

4) We would like to book one of the drivers listed on DoW forum. However, it seems that we must need to go through agent. Will it be possible to get agents to just do the PAP and we book our trip with DoW listed drivers? Can individual driver help us in getting the PAP?

Book a hotel in Leh for your first 1-2 days stay. Talk to the hotel and they will be able to help you with the permit. You can get your permits done from an agent, but book a DoW recommended taxi driver yourself directly. Individual driver may be able to help, but he will again go to an agent – you can check by directly calling the taxi guy.

vg8787 wrote:

5) I haven’t seen any message on the forum getting PAP from outside India. Is it possible to get this all done from Australia itself? or is it preferred to get it in India and not worry at all getting it from Australia.

No, can be issued only after you arrive in Leh. No need to worry and you can get it easily.

vg8787 wrote:

6) Do they reject PAP even if all documents are correct and all clean records? What is the best location with chance of most success.

No, unless you are really unlucky, you should get get the permits very easily. Permits are issued only from Leh DC office, thats the only location

vg8787 wrote:

7) Since PAP is given to group of 2 or more persons. Can the other person be Indian i.e. the group of one OCI and Indians? If not, then will it be possible to get PAP for one person (e.g. with any other group?) but later travel with other Indian friends?

No. You need two foreigners. If there are not two, the agent will combine you with another group. Once you get your permit, make sure you take enough photocopies and then you can carry on with your own group with Indian friends.

Feel free to shoot out more questions. Don’t get hassled by this at all. I am sure you’ll have a wonderful time in Ladakh

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3
    vg8787 on #62973

Dear Vinod,

Thank you so much for your thorough reply.

Quote:

No map as such. The road for getting into and out of Leh and Zanskar valley do not need PAP. The ladakh sightseeing : Nubra valley, Pangong Tso (upto Merak) and Tso moriri need a PAP. Area beyond Merak towards Chusul and ahead (from Pangong Tso) and Area beyond Mahe bridge (on Leh-Tso moriri route), Hanle etc are all off limits for foreigners

Thank you. Just curious about the routes which are not specifically mentioned in the circuit list. e.g.

sassakul->erad->harong->yogma->nama->satastho la->horla->mahe or

leh->karu->sakti->wari la->tyangar->agham->shyok

Are the allowed with PAP or not allowed for foreigners at all?

Quote:

You will need it for Nubra, Pangong Tso and Tso moriri. You can get all permits at the same time and in the same application form. All permits are available ONLY IN LEH. No need of PAP for driving on Srinagar – Leh highway, Leh- Manali highway (and if interested, Zanskar valley also)

Thank you. Great to know that we should be able to get all three permits at the same time. Assuming no special permits required for local Leh areas. e.g. Leh, shey, thickey, stok, hemis stakna, karu, Sakti etc.

Quote:

You should be able to get it done in Leh. Why not arrange your trip in such a way that you do not spend more than 7 full days in Protected area (max 3 days Nubra, 2 days Pangong, and 2 days tso moriri)

Thank you. Yes, I’ll explore a bit more to plan as per your suggestion. Any suggestion about the area (anywhere in Leh/Ladakh) which must not be missed within the PAP limit? e.g. Area with definite snow/Glaciers in early June?

Quote:

Book a hotel in Leh for your first 1-2 days stay. Talk to the hotel and they will be able to help you with the permit. You can get your permits done from an agent, but book a DoW recommended taxi driver yourself directly. Individual driver may be able to help, but he will again go to an agent – you can check by directly calling the taxi guy.

Should we book accommodation in Leh now or just do it when we reach. Though I assume I must need to book taxi now as the good drivers will get busy very soon. Is it worth calling agents to see if they can arranging PAP, though I guess they will not be motivated much unless I book travel with them. What if, the only option left for me to go with agent due to PAP requirement, then how hard is to cancel the booking with individual taxi driver?

Quote:

No, can be issued only after you arrive in Leh. No need to worry and you can get it easily.

Thank you.

Quote:

No, unless you are really unlucky, you should get get the permits very easily. Permits are issued only from Leh DC office, thats the only location

Thank you. I definitely don’t want to miss out on this wonderful place due to PAP etc. So, if I need to extend, then back to Leh I guess.

Quote:

No. You need two foreigners. If there are not two, the agent will combine you with another group. Once you get your permit, make sure you take enough photocopies and then you can carry on with your own group with Indian friends.

Great to know. This helps, as my local Australian friends are still contemplating.

Quote:

Feel free to shoot out more questions. Don’t get hassled by this at all. I am sure you’ll have a wonderful time in Ladakh

Thank you so much. I must say, you are guys are great. I wish there were more forums are like this for other Indian places, especially for helping foreign tourists.

Vinod Raman on #62972

sassakul->erad->harong->yogma->nama->satastho la->horla->mahe or – Not allowed

leh->karu->sakti->wari la->tyangar->agham->shyok – no problem, allowed. But why do you want to take this route? if you do want, then do it from Nubra directly like, Deskit – agham – shyok – tangtse – pangong tso OR Deskit – agham – shrok – wari La – sakthi – chang la – pangong tso & return pangong tso – changla – sakthi – karu – leh [Do check if your driver is ok taking this route, as due to road conditions, many of them hesitate]

Are the allowed with PAP or not allowed for foreigners at all?

vg8787 wrote:

Thank you. Great to know that we should be able to get all three permits at the same time. Assuming no special permits required for local Leh areas. e.g. Leh, shey, thickey, stok, hemis stakna, karu, Sakti etc.

None required

vg8787 wrote:

Thank you. Yes, I’ll explore a bit more to plan as per your suggestion. Any suggestion about the area (anywhere in Leh/Ladakh) which must not be missed within the PAP limit? e.g. Area with definite snow/Glaciers in early June?

Nothing like that. your plan would cover most of it

vg8787 wrote:

Should we book accommodation in Leh now or just do it when we reach. Though I assume I must need to book taxi now as the good drivers will get busy very soon. Is it worth calling agents to see if they can arranging PAP, though I guess they will not be motivated much unless I book travel with them. What if, the only option left for me to go with agent due to PAP requirement, then how hard is to cancel the booking with individual taxi driver?

Book your first 1-2 days hotel in Leh beforehand. So that your hotel can help you in getting the permits. You can tell the agent that you ONLY Need permits, they will do it. if you end up canceling with driver later, you dont get back any advance money you’ve already paid, thats all.

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3
    vg8787 on #62974

Quote:

getpackingvinod wrote:

sassakul->erad->harong->yogma->nama->satastho la->horla->mahe or – Not allowed

leh->karu->sakti->wari la->tyangar->agham->shyok – no problem, allowed. But why do you want to take this route? if you do want, then do it from Nubra directly like, Deskit – agham – shyok – tangtse – pangong tso OR Deskit – agham – shrok – wari La – sakthi – chang la – pangong tso & return pangong tso – changla – sakthi – karu – leh [Do check if your driver is ok taking this route, as due to road conditions, many of them hesitate]

Thank you for the suggestion and clarification. I’ll plan accordingly. Once I have a firm plan, I’ll post it for further suggestions.

Thank you once again for your time.

Vinod Raman on #62970

The pleasure is all ours :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: PAP help needed (Srinagar->Leh->Manali)
Your information:

Love Traveling to Himalayas?

YES?? Then, Let's Stay Connected !!

Get FREE monthly travel updates, news, guides, tips, itineraries, stories, hotel & restaurant reviews, etc.. focused totally on travelling to Himalayas right in to your email inbox.

Don't worry, we will neither SPAM nor SELL your email :)

Send this to a friend