DoW Himalayan Travel Community

Need help with route plan. May. 18days. Himachal

• nitiedude on #25321

Hi guys, I am a regular reader of your forum.

Please help me plan a trip to north India/Himalayas this May, 2018, which I think will be my best trip of my life.

Month: May

Duration: Max 18 days

trip style: Solo Male, age 28, or 2 guys similar aged, can sleep at tents, camps also.

budget: backpack. No luxury, 20k/25k max

Interest: Paragliding at Bir, chill and relax at Kasol, Want to see tibetan monestaries, hindu temples, if possible the golden temple at amritsar on my way back

Dont want to do: Tough trekks like roopkund, chandratal lake, as I do not have equipment’s.

I/we will be coming from Bangalore to north, tickets not yet booked.

1. Better to book tickets to BLR Delhi or BLR to dharamshala or any other place ? I have to travel by flight from bangalore as I dont have time much :(

2. my rough route plan: please add/edit/comment/delete/suggest anything wonderful and I am game for it.

3. I dont want o spend time in Delhi as delhi will be super hot during may, I want to go to himalayas directly.

–Delhi

dharamshala

mcloedganj

amritsar goldern temple (day trip)

khajjar

chamba

dalhousie

bir billing (para gliding)

kangra

kasol

naggar

tosh

manikaran

triund trekk

tirthan valley

old manali

Will skip

spiti

nako tabo kaza

GH national park (is it doable?)

shimla! crowded

wagah (may skip if time is a constraint, will spend only a day in amritsar n not night)

Palampur

I am not sure if every place is accessible. I want to do acircuit travel so that every next place is just a one night journey or less.

Please help as I have not been to North india Himalayas ever.

is it better to start from delhi and go dharamshala – amritsar- again dharamshala – dalhousie- bir..

or delhi – bhuntar- kasol–bbir- dharamshala- amritsar..??

Topics: 0
    Replies: 2295
    Vinod Raman on #62955

[tag]nitiedude[/tag], if your interest is in the places you have mentioned, then I’d suggest you either fly into Chandigarh or Amritsar from Bangalore (there are non stop flights). If Flying into Chandigarh, the cover places in the following order:

Manali

Kasol/ Manikaran /Tosh

Malana

Palampur

Bir-Billing

Dharamsala, McLeodgunj (hike to Triund if interested)

Dalhousie – Chamba

Amritsar – Wagah

Kufri is a little off road though you can still cover it if you’re really interested. All the above are less than 6 hrs between each place.

With so many days in hand, many would have wanted to do a Spiti circuit – I am not sure why do not want to – you can see pics of Spiti and Kinnaur on the forum here (or on google) – but then, if you’ve made up your mind, go ahead with the plan :)

Participant
    Replies: 12
    nitiedude on #62960

Hi Govind, thanks for reply.

There is an update. my updated travel days are almost 18 days. May 1st to May 17/18th.

So now, I need to plan for more days happily. Please suggest places. :)

For now, I am taking flight from BLR to Del, from Del either I will take Bus to dharamshala or bus to Bhuntar.

Places I will cover in no particular order:

1. Old manali, temples, caves.

2. Kasol for chilling. M

3. Manikaran. Gurdwara

4. Tosh. – Malana

5. Vashisht

6. Naggar

6. Triund trekk, I saw the video of the place, its awesome.

7. Bir billing for paragliding.

8. Some place for ziplinging/zorbing.

9. Dharamshala

10. Mcloedganj.

11. Khajjar.

Tentative places:

1. Tirthan valley (not sure what is there!)

2. Himalayan national park (I am not expert in flora/fauna, but hope it will be good and not costly)

3. Solang valley (Dont know what is there? adventure sports?)

4. Palampur (not sure what is there!)

5. Dalhousie (will not it be similar to mcloedganj, dharamsala?)

5. Amritsar golden temple. (Wish to go there, but it will be totally off route, wagah I will skip, because one foreign national friend will be there with me, and she might face problem with premits, she is in india on work permit, she already said, their visa guides told the whole group to avoid kashmir! and nearby border areas for security concerns)

I havent decided from where I will take return flight.

Chandigarh wold be better or Delhi. But chandigarh-BLR flight is costlier also :(

For spiti, I am open for that, except high altitude AMS issue! and if I add spiti, then I need bike and I dont want to ride for long there with lot of luggage, may sound funny, as guys love to do it, but I am not expert in riding in tough hill areas! I heard about Nako, Tabo, Kaza!

Not sure how good it is.

I am open for suggestion.

Is there option for private message? Then lets connect please. :) Thanks.

Participant
    nitiedude on #62961

I do not think publics transport is available for spiti valley, how do I go there? Or is it possible to add 1/2 places with my current route plan? if yes please suggest.. I want to utlisise full 18 days, and will 1 day for rest/buffer also.

Participant
    nitiedude on #62962

Also, Vinod,

Please tell me, if I have to visit Amirtsar golden temple, will it be better to start from delhi-manali-kasol way. or Go by Delhi-amritsar-dharamsala way… or any other route, as I have time, I want to add golden temple also. :)

Vinod Raman on #62964

[tag]nitiedude[/tag] sorry, saw your posts late. there is an option for direct message / personal message, you can see just below my profile on the left of this post, ‘PM’. However, I would suggest that you post here only, so that other can also be benifitted from discussion.

First, I had assumed you are traveling by taxi. Now got to know you are doing by public transport. So let me suggest this, you can more or less follow this :)

May 1 : BLR to DEL flight. spend the day at Delhi or take a bus to Amritsar or take a train to Amritsar (Shatabdhi etc take 7 hrs, and night trains around 10 hrs)

May 2 : Amritsar golden temple and Jalianwalah Bagh sight seeing. there will be many auto wallahs offering wagah border visit for around 300 or 350 bucks per person, take that ticket. Amritsar is in Punjab and wagah is a friendly border, so your friend need not have any worries. night at Amritsar

May 3: Take a bus from Amritsar to Dalhousie (or Amritsar to Pathankot, Pathankot to Dalhousie) and you can stay in Dalhousie or proceed to Khaajiar / Chamba also. Not much, except mountains and forests. night at Dalhousie or Khajjiar / Chamba

May 4: Chamba to Dharamala to McLeodgunj. Get a hotel in Mcleodgunj and soak in the sourroundings. You can visit the tibetan monastery (Dalai Lama), Dal Lake (not the one in Kashmir-Srinagar), Bhagsu falls etc.. all this can be done on foot . For Bhagsu or Dal, you can take auto. If you want to stay away from hustle of the town, consider staying at Dharamkot, 2km away from mcloeodgunj. Sunset from Naddi village not to be missed

May 5 : Make a day trip to Triund. track is well marked, and you dont need a guide at all. But if it is the first time you’re trekking, then do take one from the market. Either walk upto Gallu – 3km or take taxi to gallu (around 500 bucks) [if you are in dharamkot, you need to walk 1km to get to Gallu. From there, it is a moderate 5km hike to triund. have lunch on triund top and leave by around 3. If interested, you can stay in camp overnight at triund top and return next morning

May 6: Take a bus from Mcleod to Kangra, visit Kangra fort if interested. Then take a bus to Palampur – tea gardens(or take direct bus dharamsala to palampur). Stay here if you have the budget, else head to Bir-Billing for your para gliding etc. stay overnight at any of the places

May 7: head from Bir to Kasol via Bhunter & chillax

May 8: Kasol to Tosh, relax at Tosh

May 9: Tosh to Kheerganga hot water spring (trek) and return to Manikaran. Stay at Manikaran

May 10: Manikaran to Kasol to Malana

May 11: Malana to Naggar (visit fort) – Manali

May 12: Manali local : Solang valley (zorbing if interested), Rohtang Pass (if interested); Vasisht

May 13: Manali to Tirthan valley via Bhunter & Aut [better to book accommodation in advance]. may need to take share taxi. Or else, stay in Shoja

May 14 – 15 : Explore Great Himalayan National Park (GHNP)

May 16: Tirthan to Kufri – via Jalori Pass (visit Serolskar lake near Jalori)

May 17: Shimla

May 18: Shimla to Chandigarh to Delhi (CHD_DEL has very frequent buses and also trains). Delhi to Bangalore

You can also do the entire reverse circuit – start from Shimla & do amristar at the end :) Amritsar Delhi has night trains also, so you can save may be 1-2 days :)

Participant
    nitiedude on #62966

Vinodj ji,

Bahut shukria yeh plan k liye. :)

everything looks great.

My concerns:

1. I dont want to visit Shimla, (Never been there, but heard from lot of friends that its too much crowded, I want backpack environment, close to nature)

So, If I skip Shimla, better to add a day in Manali/old manali and explore hidimba devi temple and all other places. Correct?

2. GHNP – I wanted to add, but I see its extreme east! Is it doable in one day? how much will be the cost & transportation? If I dont go GHNP, is it better to add Jibhi? or suggest any place instead of GHNP, please.

3. Overall do I need to book homestays in adavance? got advice that its not needed, I need very basic/cheap places to spend the night.

4. Please suggest, lesser known places, I am sure there are places everywhere, which only locals know, and are mind blowing!

And also, suggest any other place, if you think will be adventurous/thrill/great view/Unique/mind blowing. I am open to experiment.

Thanks a lot sir ji. Take care:)

Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #62956

Hello [tag]nitiedude[/tag].

On your concerns,

1. Yes, Shimla might be crowded, you could instead stay a little ahead in Narkanda and trek to Hatu peak instead. It is about 2.5 hours ahead of Shimla.

2. GNHP is a large region with multiple entry and exit points. You don’t have to see everything in 1 day. Just trek a few hours inside the region and you’ll get the vibe of the place.

3. If you’re okay with budget accommodations, there are multiple options and advance booking wont be needed.

4. Vinod has already recommended many out of circuit places for you and I believe this is a good plan. Don’t add more places, rather go for better experiences at these places.

Participant
    nitiedude on #62957

Thanks a lot Ashish and Vinod :)

I will follow this, and get back to the thread for queries. Need to book flight tickets quickly !

Vinod Raman on #62958

All the best for the trip :) Please do post pictures and a short tale once you’re back

Participant
    nitiedude on #62963

Hey Vinod, I would love to share my pics. I dont have DSLR, but I like to take snaps with my smart phone. In last 2 years I have travelled solo to many offbeat places and major places also in India, mostly south. But here in this forum, there is no discussion on South I think. or I may have missed.

So, if it allowed I can post pics of my trips of Pondicherry, Kodaikanal, Thanjavur, Madurai, Kumta, Murudeshwar, Gokarna, Goa, Munnar, Allepey, Wayand, Kochi..and so many places.

Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #62959

Hello.. We’d love to see those pictures. You could share them in a new thread here – http://devilonwheels.com/india/miscellaneous-forum/

Infact I was in Varkala recently, I’ll share my pics too :)

Participant
    nitiedude on #62965

I would like know if you guys have a repository for contacts of cheap homestays/ guest houses for budget travellers.

at manali, naggar, kasol, tosh, dalhousie, jibhi, khajjar in those place…

I would like to get an idea 1 people very basic homestay one night…so that I can fix a budget.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Need help with route plan. May. 18days. Himachal
Your information:

Love Traveling to Himalayas?

YES?? Then, Let's Stay Connected !!

Get FREE monthly travel updates, news, guides, tips, itineraries, stories, hotel & restaurant reviews, etc.. focused totally on travelling to Himalayas right in to your email inbox.

Don't worry, we will neither SPAM nor SELL your email :)

Send this to a friend