DoW Himalayan Travel Community

Mighty Sach Pass to Ladakh.

• Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 66
    bhuvan746 on #64042

#Dhar – #Bairagarh – Sach Pass – #Killar – #Cherry – #Darcha – #Whisky Nala – #Leh – #Leh – #Leh – #Leh – #Mahe — Kaksang La – #Tso Moriri – #Sarchu – #Manali – #Patiala.

College friends united again for the incredible and the most adventurous journey to the toughest terrains and The Land of High Passes.

Sharing a video link of our journey and of course Travel Tale will follow.

Participant
    bhuvan746 on #64096

We did lot of preparations for this trip as the Sach Pass videos scares the shit out of you and in reality it was more than that. I dropped my bike twice on the way to Killar. My bike got 03 punctures on the way. First after crossing Baralacha La, second on the same day at top of Lachung La at 16000 ft. at around 19:00Hrs and last on the way to Tso-Moriri. And our dear friend Aman who made every body laugh and sometimes irritate met with an unfortunate accident (shoulder and rib fracture) and spent 03 months on the bed. 🙁

The most amazing part – While on the bed, he was discussing with me the next year plans. I told him that you first heal your bones and then we will discuss. He replied “I still have 364 full bones left.” Hats off to the spirit.

We were all touched by Bairagarh beauty, we did the toughest route and toughest Sach Pass, stayed at the most beautiful Cherry Bungalow, have the most relaxing time in Leh- we just ate, enjoyed and slept for continuously 03 days like a spoiled brat, learned how to properly fix a puncture in the shortest time (fixing bullet puncture not an easy job esp. in cold), witnessed two beautiful hidden lakes, rode on the highest pass (for us) Kaksang La (Actual height- 17,842 ft.) between Mahe (40km, 4,200m) and Chushul which is more than my previous Chang La and Khardung La, we had many beautiful moments, awe-inspiring landscape, one of a kind journey and an adventure that you cannot beat.

Participant
    bhuvan746 on #64097

Details and pictures will follow soon. 🙂

Keymaster
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 9159
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #64140

Awesome Bhuvan, looking forward to all the fun and yeah hats off to your friend Aman 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant
    bhuvan746 on #64273

I reached Dhar at night. Robin, Taran Bhabhi, Aman and Varun rode from Chandīgarh and they already booked the hotel. We were meeting after a long time and the last time we went together for a road trip was in 2014. We saw each other apparels, riding accessories and after chit-chat went for a sleep.

Power couple wearing the same shirt and head band. Robin didn’t seem fashionable before marriage but look at him now.

And Yes!! Robin and Taran Bhabhi just got married in February. It was Robin’s bold decision to take her along on a bike after all the family convincing which was done on the background. And the foolish thing I did was, adding Sach Pass in the itinerary and later Kaksang La too.

I was getting adventure hungry and yeah my appetite got satisfied in Pangi Valley itself. No, I will say it got satisfied after crossing Bogotu Nallah. These kind of haunting names puts a permanent fear. Will I go back? Yes, when there will be a road in Pangi Valley (but nobody knows). I so much wanted to explore the beautiful Pangi Valley but the horrors of Sach Pass didn’t let me explore.

We started our journey after not so good breakfast. Route is very scenic especially before reaching Bairagarh. Bairagarh is very less populated and doesn’t offers you any luxury but offers very beautiful views. We all enjoyed and liked the place. We stayed at Mannat Home stay. They offered us good rooms and we got the best room for our newly wedded couple (with bath tub). I said wrong, Bairagarh do offer luxury also. Late Evening, we went for a walk up to a Shiva Temple and sat there for some time and I went inside the temple and later we all returned back. Food was home cooked and delicious. We requested the owner for early packed breakfast and went for sleep.

Faster! Faster! Faster!
    We have to start early before Bogotu Nallah gets flooded. We Planned to start at 06 but started near 08. Its only 70 kms from Bairagarh to Killar and we took only 12hours to reach there.

Ascent is steep and we were riding on a river bed but the views are mind blowing. Not having a good road doesn’t let you enjoy the surroundings. Robin was riding Bullet 350 with pillion. Aman was riding Yamaha Fazer without pillion. Myself was riding Bullet 500 with pillion. I was carrying extra fuel of around 25Litres. We almost forgot taking the extra fuel on the way to Bairagarh but fortunately stopped at last petrol pump just before Bairagarh. I enjoyed till Satrundi as my bike was going smooth and I was handling it just fine. We encountered many beautiful falls on our way and the only thing going on our minds was to cross the Bogotu nallah as soon as possible.

Attachments:

Participant
    bhuvan746 on #64285

We had breakfast at Satrundi. There is a check post where they get all the details, ID and picture. After Satrundi, ascent gets steeper, bouncier, rough and rocky. My biked jumped many times and one time, i was ascending and a stone came on the turn and the next thing I know was that my bike was facing the gorge. It jumped and turned 90 and I was just able to stop it on time. This never happened in any of my previous journeys that my bike was not in control.

Slow and steady, turning and jumping, we reached Sach Pass. We spent some time at Sach pass climbing the boulders to get a good view and about half an hour later we started moving towards Bogotu Nallah. We reached Sach Pass on time and now there was a slight relief but as the ascent was too steep and bumpy, descent was not going to be easy. We reached around 01:30 at Bogotu Nallah and already there were 2-3 biker groups waiting to cross. We all got together and decided to set the fielding in the water and one by one everyone will cross. In the video, you can see Robin crossing on his motorbike.

Attachments:

Participant
    bhuvan746 on #64299

Bogotu Nallah is wide and lengthy. Water flow was violent, extreme and sound was making everyone afraid. It was so deep that bullet tire goes completely under it. It took us 02 hours to cross all the 09 bikes. While crossing, my left foot got stuck in the metal wire which pulled my knee ligament which was already injured. I rode my bike little away and rested for a while and waited for others. Due to my ligament, my confidence got down as my left leg can’t take the load now. We started descending and I dropped my bike on the left with varun ankle stuck under the bike. He was wearing gum boots so the pain was more. Descending Sach Pass was getting tougher for me. My bike was not in control and confidence was down. I was trying to focus and was counting time.

Bogotu Nallah

Ice Tunnel.

Sooner we reached another water crossing where already one car was stuck and the hero was not able to get it out. It was Wagon R and I don’t know what gets into the driver mind to drove it to Sach Pass. Our group was already tired after pushing everybody’s motorbike out of the Bogotu Nallah. It was around 04 pm and we didn’t have anything to eat from the morning.

We all went and started pushing his vehicle but nothing was helping. It was badly stuck and we were fearing what if it remained stuck. After 20-30 minutes one taxi driver came forward and started driving it and told everyone to push. After 4-5 attempts vehicle got out. After we all crossed and later stopped to eat lunch. Weather started getting bad and rain started. We ate fast and started heading towards Killar. There was no point in stopping as the tough phase was already over. Last water crossing came, where all managed to cross safely accept me. I drove little fast and suddenly stone came and my feet couldn’t touch the surface and I dropped my bike in the water crossing. My knee hit straight on the rock and I was out of my voice. I couldn’t bend my leg, others helped me to get out of the water and robin lifted my bike and drove it out.

Don’t ask me what was going in my head. I really don’t know what was happening. I was little scared and worried as it was only the second day of our trip. I have to re gain my confidence and have control over my bike. Last year I did Zanskar and I was pretty confident of water crossings and off road biking. That time also I was riding with pillion and I did that route wonderfully.

After few minutes of rest, we started riding and we were getting closer to Killar. It was already 06 pm in the evening. After few kms dirt track started and we speeded up and reached Killar at around 08. We booked a room at Hotel Raj and didn’t bothered to look out for more. Our clothes and shoes were all wet. After shower, we all had food and drinks and don’t know when we retired to bed. This was a very long day and we drove only 70kms and were tired both physically and mentally. Why did I put this in my itinerary when there was a newly wedded couple in our group? Although I warned everyone of adventure we have to face but it turns out to be a horror. Horrors of Sach Pass. Day was bad for me but tomorrow I am going to explore Pangi Valley. I might go to the beautiful Hudan Bhatori or Sural Bhatori.

Attachments:

Keymaster
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #64324

OMG :O :O there is definitely a reason we call it DADDY of all passes… The Sach Pass !! I am really sorry to read about your experience Bhuvan and can feel the pain you would be going through on this trip. And yeah, Sach Pass is a different ball game than any other pass. I am glad you all made it safe and sound to Killar…

Hats off to your spirit for riding with an injured leg. On a lighter note, bhai you just added fun in the newly wed life and put it test the togetherness in tough times 😀 😀

Needless to say, the pictures tells the story and they are just beautiful and make me nostaligc.

Participant
    bhuvan746 on #64332

You are right about the test of togetherness in tough times. They had an awesome time and their most memorable trip. Its almost a year and we all miss the adventure badly. 🙂

Participant
    bhuvan746 on #64338

@ADMIN Dheeraj sir, in my first post i have given hyperlink for the video which is not displaying in mobile screen (after changing the orientation only it is displaying).
    Kindly, edit it and paste the below given link and remove the hyperlink for video.

Keymaster
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #64355

I have updated that Bhuvan. You need to leave the link to generate the preview of it instead of using LINK or tags

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Mighty Sach Pass to Ladakh.
Your information:

Love Traveling to Himalayas?

YES?? Then, Let's Stay Connected !!

Get FREE monthly travel updates, news, guides, tips, itineraries, stories, hotel & restaurant reviews, etc.. focused totally on travelling to Himalayas right in to your email inbox.

Don't worry, we will neither SPAM nor SELL your email :)

Send this to a friend