DoW Himalayan Travel Community

Devil on Wheels – Travel Tale of the Year Contest

Posted In: Announcements

• dheerajsharma14 on #23741

Devil on Wheels – Travel Tale of the Year Contest

We are inviting Devils to pen down their travel stories along with those beautiful Himalayan pictures for a chance to be tagged the DoW Travel Tale of the Year and win DoW goodies. All you need to do is to create an account at http://devilonwheels.com/india (if you don’t have one already), go to http://devilonwheels.com/india/himalayan-travel-tales/ and start writing. If you’re new to the forum and need help with formatting and such, refer to this thread: http://devilonwheels.com/india/himalayan-travel-tales/how-write-travel-tale-t3.html

wordpress.2009-08-07.xml.txt308.jpg[/attachment:1a6kglgc]

Rules of the competition:
    1. For the first year of competition, we will consider all travel stories that are written on the forum and completed before December 31, 2015. Incomplete travelogues will qualify for next year.
    2. There will be 4 categories for the competition –

1. Ladakh & Zanskar,
    2. Lahaul & Spiti,
    3. Rest of the Himalayas and
    4. Weekend trips (1-3 days)

3. The travelogue should consist of your entire travel story along with pictures. An ideal travelogue should include story on preparation, your experience in your own words, details and your review of your accommodations and driver, if hired. Links to blog posts will not qualify.
    4. There is no bar on language and grammatical accuracy will not be criteria for judgment. So do not limit yourself just because you’re not confident. Remember, a good story will always find its listeners :)
    5. To avoid personal bias, core members of the DoW team (those whose name comes in Red, Green and Blue colors) are not eligible to participate in this competition.

Contest results:
    1. All nominated travelogues will listed on the forum by 15th January and potential winners will be shortlisted by the Core Members.
    2. Post shortlisting, a team of expert independent travelers outside community will announce the winners by 31st January.
    3. One winner from each category will win a generous box of DoW Goodies in the form of DoW Store Credits along with an Amazon or Flipkart Voucher :)

So, what are you waiting for…. 😆 😆

Topics: 0
    Replies: 2295
    Vinod Raman on #50713

Yeah !!! Good initiative. Now can expect a lot of tales & excellent pictures here :)

Participant
    Replies: 925
    navneet1986 on #50714

A great initiative.

According to me, there should be one more category for overall t-log sections.

Participant
    Replies: 376
    Shivendra009 on #50715

I must complete mine.

Sent from my Micromax AQ5001 using Tapatalk

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 230
    sajalsheth on #50716

Now I have yet another reason to travel
    ;)

Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #50717

@navneet1986 wrote:

A great initiative.

Once we see more participation in the North East section, we can probably add that too! Watch out for the ’16 contest for that! :)

Keymaster
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 9205
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #50718

@navneet1986 wrote:

A great initiative.

But that is covered in Rest of Himalayas category??

Participant
    Replies: 185
    drvictor19 on #50719

Dheeraj… Great Initiative ..!!
    This will inspire fellow members to bring out the best…!!
    reminds me to melt my frozen travelogue 😆 😆 😆

Participant
    Replies: 78
    marinetraveller on #50720

Good one Dheeraj and DoW core team :) kudos

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using Tapatalk

Participant
    navneet1986 on #50721

@dheerajsharma14 wrote:

@navneet1986 wrote:

A great initiative.

But that is covered in Rest of Himalayas category??

No, I could not explain it well.

I mean there should be a category called “overall”. So that a tale winning in one category can also win the overall category. That should be over and above from all he categories mentioned.

OVERALL would mean from all the sections. One t-log winning the t-log of the year.

Just a suggestion. I don’t know if it makes sense or not.

Also according to me, core members should be eligible for this too. This should be for everyone. I hope everyone on the forum is matured enough to understand that this is no platform to be biased. At least I trust the forum and the admins totally :)

Plus that would give amateurs like me more confidence to compete against the veterans. And then core members would also take this up more seriously 😆

And I guess it is open to all to nominate or at least to vote for the winners.

Participant
    Replies: 2532
    Yayawar on #50722

Navneet bhai,

While Dheeraj and others are on their way to the Mega Meet, let me take this opportunity to answer your queries:

@navneet1986 wrote:

No, I could not explain it well.

I mean there should be a category called “overall”. So that a tale winning in one category can also win the overall category. That should be over and above from all he categories mentioned.

OVERALL would mean from all the sections. One t-log winning the t-log of the year.

Just a suggestion. I don’t know if it makes sense or not..

This could be done, but would be the most difficult part :ugeek: This year, we have frozen the rules. Probably will include this for 2016. :)

@navneet1986 wrote:

Also according to me, core members should be eligible for this too. This should be for everyone. I hope everyone on the forum is matured enough to understand that this is no platform to be biased. At least I trust the forum and the admins totally :)

The idea is to have more and more participation from members of the community. Core members are already committed to DoW. And yes, every year, there is a raffle in my company. Everytime one of the prizes goes to senior management, we always say that the draw is “fixed” 😆 😆

@navneet1986 wrote:

Plus that would give amateurs like me more confidence to compete against the veterans. And then core members would also take this up more seriously 😆 .

Your second statement makes me 😳 😳

And just to clarify, no one is veteran here.. I consider you to be more traveled than me so you are more veteran. It is just that I’m disposing off some responsibility due to active participation from early days. Tomorrow you may also become part of the core group. Now that means that you too would become ineligible to compete! 🙄 🙄 Win before you get debarred! 😆 😆

@navneet1986 wrote:

And I guess it is open to all to nominate or at least to vote for the winners.

While deciding on this, we were not sure of the participation of members here. It may so happen that the total voting is just around 20-50 and it would be difficult then. Hence decided on the rules for this year to shortlist by core members and then decision by travelers outside the community. Perhaps, looking at the participation this year, we would have voting too in 2016. ;)

Participant
    navneet1986 on #50723

All your points taken Sir. Completely agree.

Just one thing on the following point.

@navneet1986 wrote:

@NonStopDriver wrote:

The idea is to have more and more participation from members of the community. Core members are already committed to DoW. And yes, every year, there is a raffle in my company. Everytime one of the prizes goes to senior management, we always say that the draw is “fixed” 😆 😆

This is not a corporate. And we are wise to understand if someone from the core team wins the contest. Infact I can right now cull out a couple of t-logs from the core members that are totally eligible to win. Believe me that would be more fun. Also no one would feel wrong if it is an open polling.

@NonStopDriver wrote:

And just to clarify, no one is veteran here.. I consider you to be more traveled than me so you are more veteran. It is just that I’m disposing off some responsibility due to active participation from early days. Tomorrow you may also become part of the core group. Now that means that you too would become ineligible to compete! 🙄 🙄 Win before you get debarred! 😆 😆

This gives me a kick to complete the Spiti tale soon. Atleast within this year. 😆

Then I would be having 2 t-logs in 2 different categories. :D

Participant
    Replies: 2532
    Yayawar on #50724

For the first part, I’ll let [tag:2n90l0f5]Aashish2137[/tag:2n90l0f5] explain.

Best of luck for the second part! :D

Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #50725

@navneet1986 wrote:

Everytime one of the prizes goes to senior management, we always say that the draw is “fixed” 😆 😆

This is not a corporate. And we are wise to understand if someone from the core team wins the contest. Infact I can right now cull out a couple of t-logs from the core members that are totally eligible to win. Believe me that would be more fun. Also no one would feel wrong if it is an open polling.

Neeraj already explained the primary reason. We have a lot of activity in the travelogue section this year but contests like this are encouragement for people who are shy of writing to come out and share their experiences. Core members are anyway active on the forum.

Besides that, core members are a part of the team that will shortlist nominated travelogues for the judges to announce the winner from. Letting core members participate will introduce bias towards their own story or they wouldn’t pick their story to avoid bias and hence a core member will never win anyway.

Although I do agree that some core members did come up with some fantastic writing, but a Devil is truly rewarded when he is able to inspire another traveler to adopt responsible traveling. And that’s what the Core Team strives to achieve! :)

Participant
    Replies: 739
    sany on #50726

A brilliant move to push felow Devils to share their own travel tales in vast numbers. The most important thing is participating and learning with the curve. I am sure, with this announcement many more will be forthcoming with their travel tales.

Cant wait to see more people to share their experiences, which will not only benefit one and all but also be a chance to share the beauty of himalayas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘Devil on Wheels – Travel Tale of the Year Contest’ is closed to new replies.

Love Traveling to Himalayas?

YES?? Then, Let's Stay Connected !!

Get FREE monthly travel updates, news, guides, tips, itineraries, stories, hotel & restaurant reviews, etc.. focused totally on travelling to Himalayas right in to your email inbox.

Don't worry, we will neither SPAM nor SELL your email :)

Send this to a friend